Today, millions of children in the United States have been diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). ADHD is a real disorder that can have devastating results when left undiagnosed and untreated. In this brief article, we discuss the parent’s role in recognizing behavioral problems in their children. We will also discuss when parents should seek medical help so that a medical professional can effectively diagnose and treat their child with ADHD.
Maulik K. Trivedi, M.D., is a child psychiatrist in Wesley Chapel that provides ADHD testing for children of all ages. To learn more about ADHD testing and treatment options, schedule an appointment with Dr. Trivedi and his team today.
The Role of Parents
Parents play a critical role in identifying behavioral issues in their children. Some common reasons why parents do not seek diagnosis for their children include:
- Financial difficulties
- Not perceiving the child’s behavior as a disorder
- The parent’s own experiences
- Exposure to negative and inaccurate information regarding ADHD
- The perception that their children’s behavior is normal
- Lack of communication between parents and teachers
It’s critical for parents to be aware of the symptoms of ADHD and that they seek medical treatment for their child at a young age if they show signs of ADHD.
“parents must be aware of its symptoms”
Identifying the Symptoms
To effectively diagnose and treat ADHD, parents must be aware of its symptoms. The symptoms of ADHD consist of inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Here is a little more information on each of these symptoms:
- Inattention: A few of the main signs of inattention are when a child struggles to maintain focus or becomes easily bored with tasks. If your child procrastinates with completing work, struggles to remain seated during activities, or rarely finishes tasks, these are signs of inattention.
- Hyperactivity: A few signs of hyperactivity include children that are constantly in motion or are unable to sit still. Children that struggle to pay attention in class or fidget in their seats have symptoms of hyperactivity.
- Impulsivity: Children that fail to think before they act, blurt out answers in class, or struggle to wait their turn for activities show signs of impulsivity.
If your child shows any of the above symptoms of ADHD, schedule an appointment with a medical professional for ADHD testing and ADHD treatment in Wesley Chapel.
As there are challenges assessing ADHD, parents should partner with a doctor that is highly experienced in diagnosing and treating children with ADHD. Dr. Trivedi and his team take a comprehensive approach to treatment that focuses on a child’s medical, educational, behavioral, and psychological needs. Although ADHD treatment cannot completely cure a child of the symptoms of ADHD, an effective treatment plan can improve symptoms, enhance functional performance, and reduce or eliminate behavioral issues.
As each child is unique, Dr. Trivedi and his team tailor a specific treatment plan to help each child manage their ADHD symptoms, allowing them to reach their full potential. ADHD treatment in Wesley Chapel may include:
- Behavioral Therapy
- Classroom Management Strategies
- Social Skills Training
- ADHD Education
- Parental Training
Schedule a consultation with a child psychiatrist in Wesley Chapel today!
Disclaimer: The contents of this website are for general educational purposes only. All content and media on the Maulik K. Trivedi, M.D., website does not constitute professional medical advice nor is the information intended to replace the services of Maulik K. Trivedi, M.D., or other qualified medical professionals. If you believe you are having a medical emergency, call 911 immediately.
The content, views, and opinions communicated on this website do not represent the views of Maulik K. Trivedi, M.D. Reliance on any information provided by this website is solely at your own risk. Although this website contains links to other medical websites, this is strictly for informational purposes. Maulik K. Trivedi, M.D. is not responsible nor do they approve of the content featured on any third party linked websites referenced on this website.