At Florida Medical Clinic, Dr. Whalen Clark, MD, FACS uses a variety of techniques before, during, and after surgery to improve his patient’s outcomes and allow them to return to the things they enjoy as quickly and safely as possible.
Dr. Clark may work together with a patient’s nurses to:
- Prepare patients for surgery by administering clear liquids, a carbohydrate drink and a temporarily reduced food intake plan
- Administer pre-operative medications including an antibiotic, an acid suppression medication and a spinal injection that does not impact bowel function
- Implement specific surgical anesthesia protocols
- Provide early post-operative nutrition, as well as medications to preemptively alleviate nausea and vomiting
- Encourage patients to sit up and walk independently shortly after colon surgery
Not only do these approaches help many patients become more active, more quickly after colon surgery, but they can also lead to a reduction in post-operative complications, an earlier return of normal bowel function and measurable improvements in post-operative cardiopulmonary function.
Because Dr. Clark recognizes that a patient’s quality of life after surgery is incredibly important, he is committed to implementing the most effective strategies for recovering from colon surgery.
To learn more about Dr. Clark’s approach to enhanced recovery after colon surgery, contact Florida Medical Clinic today.
Proudly serving Tampa and Brandon, Florida