Typically, recovering from colon surgery takes several weeks or even several months, depending on the specific procedure that is performed. Minimally invasive surgeries usually have shorter recovery periods, while traditional procedures usually have longer recoveries. However, ERAS (enhanced recovery after surgery) programs are often able to reduce average recovery times, with some studies showing up to a 40 percent reduction in the length of the typical post-operative hospital stay when ERAS is implemented.
At Florida Medical Clinic, Dr. Whalen Clark, MD, FACS, and Dr. Earl W. McAllister, MD, FACS, use a variety of techniques before, during, and after surgery to improve their patient’s outcomes and allow them to return to the things they enjoy as quickly and safely as possible. For instance, Dr. Clark and Dr. McAllister, together with a patient’s nurses, may:
- Prepare patients for surgery by administering clear liquids, a carbohydrate drink and a temporarily reduced food intake plan
- Administer pre-operative medications including an antibiotic, an acid suppression medication and a spinal injection that does not impact bowel function
- Implement specific surgical anesthesia protocols
- Provide early post-operative nutrition, as well as medications to pre-emptively alleviate nausea and vomiting
- Encourage patients to sit up and walk independently shortly after colon surgery
Not only do these approaches help many patients become more active, more quickly after colon surgery, but they can also lead to a reduction in post-operative complications, an earlier return of normal bowel function and measurable improvements in post-operative cardiopulmonary function. Because Dr. Clark and Dr. McAllister recognize that a patient’s quality of life after surgery is incredibly important, they’re committed to implementing the most effective strategies for recovering from colon surgery.
To learn more about Dr. Clark and Dr. McAllister’s approach to enhanced recovery after colon surgery, contact Florida Medical Clinic today.
Proudly serving Tampa, New Tampa, Brandon, Wesley Chapel, and Riverview, Florida