There are a variety of orthopaedic non-surgical treatments available to help individuals who are having problems with their knee or shoulder. These treatments range from avoiding activity that’s irritating the joint to having stem cells injected to help promote the regeneration of damaged tissue. Most people who are experiencing pain or reduced function in their knee or shoulder should try to exhaust these orthopaedic non-surgical options first before considering surgery, and this is especially true for younger individuals and those who lead an active lifestyle.
At Florida Medical Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine & Spine, Dr. Ira Guttentag offers a full range of orthopaedic non-surgical treatment options for restoring the knee and shoulder. Some of the orthopaedic non-surgical treatments he may recommend include:
- Rest – Avoiding activities that strain the knee or shoulder can give it time to recover.
- Heating/icing – Applying heat before activities can loosen muscles around the joint, and icing afterwards can reduce inflammation.
- Anti-inflammatory medications – Taking over-the-counter or prescription medications can minimize pain and swelling.
- Physical therapy – Strengthening the muscles around the knee or shoulder can reduce the amount of stress placed on the joint.
- Hyaluronic acid injections – Adding extra lubrication to the knee or shoulder with hyaluronic acid injections can help the joint move more smoothly with less pain.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections – Injecting PRP into a damaged joint can promote healing.
- Stem cell injections – Injecting stem cells into a damaged joint can regenerate damaged cartilage.
To discuss the orthopaedic non-surgical treatment options that are available for your knee or shoulder condition, contact Florida Medical Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine & Spine and schedule a consultation with Dr. Guttentag.
Proudly serving Wiregrass/Wesley Chapel, Tampa, Zephyrhills, and Brandon FL