Dr. Ira Guttentag provides a broad array of orthopedic non-surgical treatments for the knee and shoulder at Florida Medical Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine & Spine. He always reserves surgery as a last resort, attempting first to relieve symptoms through conservative treatments.
Some of the orthopedic non-surgical treatments that are available for knee and shoulder conditions include:
- Rest – Taking a break from activities that are causing you pain can give your knee or shoulder time to heal.
- Use of heat and ice – You can apply heat before activity to improve blood flow and relax your muscles, and then ice after activity to reduce pain and swelling.
- Over-the-counter medications – Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as Bayer and Advil can help reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling.
- Physical therapy – You can work with a physical therapist to strengthen the muscles around your knee or shoulder to support the joint.
- Cortisone injections – These injections of steroids are an orthopedic non-surgical treatment that can reduce pain and inflammation in a joint for up to several months.
- Platelet-rich plasma injections – By injecting platelet-rich fluid derived from your own blood, Dr. Guttentag can promote healing in a damaged joint.
- Stem cell injections – These injections use bone marrow stem cells from your own body to promote the regeneration of cartilage in a damaged joint.
To learn more about the orthopedic non-surgical treatment options that are available for your knee or shoulder, contact Florida Medical Orthopaedics, Sports Medicine & Spine today and schedule an appointment with Dr. Guttentag.
Proudly serving Wiregrass/Wesley Chapel, Tampa, Zephyrhills, and Brandon FL