Understanding the Stages of Colorectal Cancer
Very early cancer on the innermost layer of the intestine.
Treatment of stage 0 may include the following types of surgery:
- Local excision or simple polypectomy
- Resection /anastomosis (performed when the tumor is too large to remove by local excision)
Cancer is present in the inner layer of the colon.
Treatment of stage I is commonly resection/anastomosis
Cancer has spread through the wall of the colon.
Treatment of stage II colon cancer may include the following:
- Chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy
- Targeted therapies: angiogenesis inhibitors (act by blocking tumor blood vessel formation) and monoclonal antibodies (target proteins on the surface of cancer cells to kill or block their growth)
Cancer has spread to the lymph nodes.
Treatment of stage III colon cancer may include the following:
- Resection/anastomosis with chemotherapy
- Chemotherapy, radiation therapy
Cancer has spread to other organs outside the colon.
Treatment of stage IV and recurrent colon cancer may include the following:
- Radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy
For more information about colon cancer treatment, click here to schedule an appointment with Dr. Reza. Our offices are conveniently located in Zephyrhills and Land O’ Lakes, Florida.